Beaumont Bowling Club Short History
In the beginning
Prior to 1956 the area around the Beaumont Bowling Club was a dairy farm owned by the Miller family, who had farmed here for many years. On the retirement of the last of the family members it was decided to sell the property for a moderate sum to the Burnside Council rather than see the land subdivided.
In 1956 with the approval of the Burnside Council a Sports and Recreation Club was formed to develop the area, now known as Miller Reserve, as a sporting and recreational area with Roly Buttery as President and Neville Soward Secretary. At the inaugural meeting of the Sports and Recreation Club committee on March 10th 1955 it was decided to publicise the development of the area. Bonfires,fetes,film evenings and concerts were held with a large sign on the corner of Devereux and Hay roads. This evoked so much interest that on February 13th 1956 a meeting of those interested in forming a Bowling Club was held in the Burnside Council Chambers. This meeting unanimously decided to form the Beaumont Bowling Club and the Mayor, Mr J.H.Parkinson was elected President and R.V.Crawford,Secretary with B.Pearce as Treasurer
And so the Beaumont Bowling Club was formed.
The next step
A twenty year lease of the land on the corner of Devereux and Hay roads was granted by the Council for the “peppercorn” rental of one pound per year.
Debentures of twenty five pounds were offered to the public and over four hundred pounds was raised to get the club started. With the help of volunteer labour under the leadership of Bert Pearce with the supervision of the greens contractor, Mr J. Giles, the land was graded and levelled, ready for planting. This was done and soon the first green, the “A” green, began to take shape. In the meantime retaining walls were built and a tool and all purpose shed was erected near the entrance along Devereux road.
During 1957 the first green had developed so much that on October 19th 1957 the first Opening was held with Bert Pearce rolling the first kitty and the then President, Stan Huddleston bowling the first bowl. In 1960 this green was named the Bert Pearce green in recognition of his long service to the Club.
Although a team was entered in the 1957 Pennant competition it had to be withdrawn due to the clubs lack of facilities. In the meantime however the Club was developing and a fine Club House was being constructed, inspired and greatly assisted by Doug Fulton and his engineering firm.
In 1962 a second green, the “B” green was constructed and named the Dudley Venning green in recognition of Dudleys dedicated services to the club. He was responsible for the overhead lighting of the green using elegant tram-way poles that once adorned the city streets.
In 1964 permission was given for the construction of a third green, the “C” green, on the area where the Miller family home stood. The demolition of the home was accomplished by Bert Pearce and his band of volunteers.
After the completion of the third green in 1967 membership numbers greatly increased and in the early 70’s Beaumont entered seven teams in the Pennant competition.
In 1981 all three greens were replanted with tif-dwarf under the supervision of Stan Sewell and the third green was aptly named after him.
The Women’s Club
In 1958 Lorna Jarman called a meeting at her home for women interested in bowling. About twenty women attended and decided to form a women’s Bowling Club. Lorna Jarman was elected Secretary and Treasurer. Later in that year the women were invited to attend the first annual meeting of the Beaumont Bowling Club and also invited to become members.
In 1959 the women’s club held their first annual general meeting where Phyl Fulton was elected President and Lorna Jarman continued as Secretary and Treasurer. To help create interest in the women’s club a singles championship was held in April 1959 with fourteen entrants each paying three shillings to enter.
The women’s club was a valuable asset to the Beaumont Bowling Club raising thousands of dollars each year by way of raffles, Gala Days and card days.
In 2004 the men’s and women’s clubs amalgamated.
Did you know
1957 A freak storm caused the collapse of the retaining wall near the Clubhouse.
1960 Saw our first “Pennant” won.
1960 The Bert Pearce green was widened from seven to eight rinks.
1960 Fred Dowling designed the Club badge.
1961 Kamahl sang at our Christmas party for a fee of six guineas.
1962 Deryk Hamlin constructed the men’s lockers.
1964 The main building of the Club house was named Fulton Hall after Doug Fulton.
1965 New bar area created.
1966 The state team practiced on our greens.
1966 Beaumont was promoted to 1 Red after only eight years in existence.
1966 The Club was granted to sell liquor on its premises.
1970 Wrought iron entrance gates were erected, donated by the financial life members of the Club.
1971 Indoor bowl matches between South Australia and Victoria were played in Fulton Hall.
1981 A Jacob’s ladder was built for use when changing the light globes during night bowls.
1988 Bar moved from southern wall to eastern wall of clubrooms.
1987 Metal seat and sunshades were provided for all greens.
1989 Ladies lockers and retiring room upgraded.
1990 The kitchen was upgraded with new bench tops and plumbing.
1991 John Groves was elected to the Executive of the R.S.A.B.A.
1994 The bar was lengthened.
1995 Ground level refrigerated glasses and bottle cabinet added to the bar complex.
1996 We hosted teams from Hong Kong and Papua New Guinea for the World Bowls Championship
1997 Bar extended, old office demolished and rebuilt next to the bar. Social area extended and ceiling lowered.
2003 New floodlighting was installed on the “B” and “C” greens.
2004 New shades installed on all greens.
2005 Disability rest room and toilets were constructed.
2014 New upright fridges installed in the bar.
2015 New score boards were installed on “A” and “B” greens.
2015 Grease trap installed by Burnside Council.
2016 Clubhouse re-roofed and gutters and down pipes replaced.
2016 Embarked on a full kitchen refurbishment. View more details here.
2016 New BBQ area constructed. View more details here.
2017 Renovated kitchen and new BBQ area officially opened
2018 Complete renovation of all toilet facilities. View more details here.
2018 Complete renovation of our bar and lounge facilities
2019 New score boards installed on “C” green
2019 Stage one of the Fulton hall renovation completed
2020 New metal rink edging on all three greens
2020 Fulton Hall renovation completed
2020 New roller purchased from an anonymous donation
2021 Watering system on all greens completely upgraded
2021 New shirt design adopted
Some other facts
Night bowls was played as early as 1958 and the President Stan Huddleston who was General Manager of E.T.S.A. designed lighting on poles at both ends of the “A” green so that swaying lights did not interfere with the view from his home across the road.
Seating was a problem in the early days so chairs were loaned by the Methodist Church. Members were encouraged to purchase a chair for the Club with Roy Carter of Austral Steel purchasing ten for the club.
The Club was named the Beaumont Bowling Club because it is situated in the Burnside Council ward of Beaumont.
The photos in the gallery below can be exploded by clicking on any one of them. They are as follows.
Row one from left to right.
Stan Huddleston taking levels on the first green in 1957.
Early view of the Bert Pearce Green (“A” green) in 1957. Note the unfinished walling.
View from the un-constructed Venning Green (“B” green) in early 1957.
First building, tool shed 1957.
Row two from left to right.
Early picture of Bert Pearce Green (“A” green) in 1959. Note completed walling and light towers.
Demolished Miller residence and site of the “C” green.
Working bee digging foundations for tool shed in 1957.
Bert Pearce rolls the kitty on opening day, 1957
Row three from left to right
Stan Huddleston rolls the first bowls on opening day 1957. Note the wrong footed stance.